As the name suggests, ‘self-cleaning’ glass is a type of glass that is able to clean itself. The impossible dream has become a reality through many years of research and development. Pilkington launched the ‘Pilkington Activ’ window, which is the world’s very first self-cleaning glass.
Pilkington Activ uses a brand-new technology that enables the windows to self-clean and it does so by using an innovative dual-action function. This function uses the force of nature to break down the dirt using sunlight and then the dirt gets washed away by the rain. In addition to this, Pilkington Activ has a wide range of products which are compatible with other products. They have developed their products with innovative glass technology that allows their products to be combined with other features.
How Does It Work?
Pilkington Activ uses a microscopic coating with the unique dual-action function and is the world’s first self-cleaning glass. However, how does the glass self-clean?
There is a 3-step cleaning process to this. The first step of the process is to just wait for 5 to 7 days after installation to allow the special coating to activate completely.
The second stage involves breaking down the organic dirt with the special coating. The coating also reduces the amount of inorganic dirt that sticks to the window.
The last step is when water droplets are formed on the surface of the window. These water droplets will scatter to form a sheet which will carry the dirt particles off the window. The surface of the window will be cleaned off by water and it also washes the glass.
Benefits of Self-Cleaning Glass
- Pilkington Activ has a range of products, such as Pilkington Activ Blue which uses medium solar control properties or Pilkington Active Sunshade which is self-cleaning glass with high solar control properties.
- It can save you time and money since by having glass that cleans itself, you won’t have to clean your windows anymore, therefore, your time and energy spent to keep windows looking great will be saved. In addition to this, by using Pilkington Active Blue, it will reduce the essential need for air conditioning and heating costs as it can be lowered by using the energy efficient Pilkington K glass.
- It is friendly to the environment.
- Windows look cleaner and better for a long period of time.
- Your windows will even clean itself on cloudy days.
- You will able to use the self-cleaning glass on nearly all exterior glazing, such as conservatories, doors, skylights and conservatory roof replacement.
Contact Shrewsbury Windows for Self-Cleaning Glass
Shrewsbury Windows has over 21 years of experience in installing double glazing, uPVC windows, doors, orangeries and conservatories. If you’re looking for self-cleaning glass then take a look at our range of Pilkington Activ windows. Our showroom features a wide variety of products, so, please feel free to visit our showroom to see what we have to offer. Our range has lots of different styles and we also provide professional installations.
Call us on 01743 365995 or email us at for a free no obligation quote!